SKINNY TORTELLINI ALFREDO
Growing up in a large Italian family, pasta was a Sunday night ritual. From the traditional spaghetti and meatballs to fresh gnocchi with pesto. My favorite however, was always Tortellini Alfredo because it was a rare treat in our house. As a child I could never figure out why my mom didn't want to make it for every meal. As an adult, I know understand that with all the butter and heavy cream, it's basically a heart attack in a bowl.
Fear not - we have a solution for that much needed Alfredo fix!
Lighten up an Italian favorite with this Skinny Alfredo Sauce. For this recipe we replaced the classic butter with olive oil and heavy cream with low fat milk. We've also found many "light" sauce recipes use chicken stock, instead we use vegetable stock so all of our vegetarian friends can dig in as well!
Not only is this meal light, it also cooks in less than 30 mins! Let's face it, it's summertime which means spending time over a hot stove is not ideal. Thanks to brands like Giovanni Rana, who make refrigerated pastas that cook in under 5 minutes, we can now enjoy our favorite savory pastas all summer long!
- Giovanni Rana 5 Cheese Tortellini
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 1 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- salt and pepper to taste ( we like a lot of pepper)
- fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- Bring a medium sized pot of water to a boil (for pasta)
- Bring a medium sauce pan to medium heat. Add olive oil and minced garlic. Cook for 1 min
- Whisk in flour for 1 min (try to whisk out any lumps)
- Add vegetable stock and whisk for 1 min
- Add milk and whisk. Bring to simmer.
- Once thick, whisk in the parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Once water is boiling, toss in the Giovanni Rana 5 Cheese Tortellini for 3 mins. Strain.
- Add cooked Tortellini to the alfredo sauce and let it soak up the flavors for at least 1 min
- Garnish with parsley and serve!