Classic Homemade Flatbread
We are big fans of flatbreads-you might even say we are slightly obsessed. The best thing about flatbreads is that they are so versatile and can be served for any occasion, meal, or season. They can be customized to anyone's liking and the topping possibilities are endless.
So what is the key to any flatbread's success? A perfect foundation-the dough. We searched high and low for the perfect dough recipe but failed to find it. We decided we needed to try everything, so we began mixing and matching techniques and ingredient. After much experimentation we have finally discovered the DNA to the perfect flatbread dough.
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 TSP Salt
- 1 TSP Raw Sugar
- 1/3 cup Water
- 2 Twigs of Fresh Thyme
- Olive Oil
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
2. Combine the flour, salt, and sugar in a mixing bowl - (Ideally in a stainless steel to avoid sticking) - Then create a small "crater" in the middle of the mixture. Gradually add 1/2 cup water to the mixture's crater. Using your hands kneed and work together the doughy mixture for several minutes until you have a firm but pliable dough. If the dough feels sticky you simply need to dust a little more flour into the mixture. Chefs Tip- pour a little olive oil on your hands to prevent the dough from sticking.
3. Once mixed- flatten the dough to cover bottom of the mixing bowl then pick off some thyme leaves and press them into the top of the dough. Next add 1/3 cup of olive oil to the bowl to cover the dough- the dough should be sitting in a little olive oil pool. Let the dough relax there for 15 mins. Chefs Note- now would be a good time do doing any prepping/cooking of toppings.
4. Lightly flour a clean flat surface or cutting board
5. After 15 mins, pick up and squeeze the dough to get out any excess olive oil into the mixing bowl. Place the dough onto the floured surface/cutting board. Using your fingers, slightly press out the dough from the center to the edges. Flip and repeat to make sure both sides are lightly floured.
6. Using a rolling pin, lightly roll out the dough- again from the center to the edges.
Millennial cooking hack- if you can’t find or don’t have a rolling pin use a wine bottle (because who doesn’t always have wine?) just wrap it in saran wrap and roll! Once rolled out the dough should be just under a foot in diameter and about a quarter inch think.
7. Carefully place the dough on a baking sheet or pizza pan and lightly brush the top with olive oil. Place in the oven for ?
8. Remove from oven and let cool for several minutes. Load on your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Flatbread is best if use within 2 hours of baking.